It took a while, but 5G phone plans in Australia are becoming more and more common, although they are still more expensive.
In the roughly two years since 5G arrived in the country, Telstra, Optus and Vodafone have rolled out chunks of their networks across the country. Although it is not yet available everywhere, you will often find a 5G signal in town and you can now order a 5G home internet plan.
But let’s not anticipate on ourselves. Before accessing a 5G network, you need two things: a 5G compatible phone plan and a 5G compatible phone. Fortunately, such things are now in abundance in Australia. Here’s your guide to 5G in Australia.
If you want to stay on top of new 5G phone plans in Australia, bookmark this page and check it every now and then. We will update it when deploying new plans. This article was last updated on December 7, 2021.
All 5G phone plans in Australia
Believe it or not, Telstra, Optus, and Vodafone aren’t the only providers offering 5G phone plans in Australia. Smaller providers like Aussie Broadband and Spintel have also jumped on 5G as mobile virtual network operators (MVNOs), meaning they are leasing space on phone networks owned by the aforementioned big three (Telstra , Optus and Vodafone).
At the moment, 5G phone plans are a bit more expensive than standard 4G phone plans in Australia, but we’ll likely see this change as 5G plans become more common. Either way, below are all the 5G phone plans you can get in Australia.
Telstra 5G phone plans
Telstra only offers four 5G compatible phone plans in Australia – three from its selection of âUpfrontâ phone plans and a prepaid plan. Here’s how much each plan costs and what you get with each plan:
- Telstra $ 60 prepaid: $ 60 per 28 days for 40 GB of data
- Telstra Upfront Medium mobile phone plan: $ 65 per month for 80 GB of data
- Telstra Upfront Large mobile phone plan: $ 85 per month for 120 GB of data
- Telstra Upfront Extra Large mobile phone plan: $ 115 per month for 180 GB of data
These four plans come without any contract and you can bundle them into a 5G-capable handset at checkout.
Optus 5G phone plans
Optus has a wider range of 5G plans on its network than Telstra, and the amount you’ll end up spending is just a little cheaper. Optus offers four 5G compatible phone plans and four 5G compatible prepaid plans. Here’s how much you’ll spend on each:
- Optus 5G Flex 2 GB: $ 2 per day for 2 GB of data
- Optus 5G Flex 14 GB: $ 14 per seven days for 14 GB of data
- Optus 5G Flex 28 GB: $ 28 per 14 days for 28 GB of data
- Optus 5G Flex 60 GB: $ 60 per 30 days for 60 GB of data
- Optus Small Choice Plus plan: $ 45 per month for 20 GB of data
- Optus Medium Choice Plus plan: $ 55 per month for 80 GB of data
- Optus Large Choice Plus plan: $ 65 per month for 200 GB of data
- Optus Extra Large Choice Plus plan: $ 85 per month for 240 GB of data
As with Telstra, you can bundle a phone with your purchase at checkout. Optus telephone plans do not have a contract.
Vodafone 5G phone plans
Often considered the cheapest of the big three, Vodafone also offers 5G plans on its postpaid plans (but not on its prepaid plans). Here’s how much you’ll spend on a 5G phone plan from Vodafone:
- Vodafone Lite package: $ 40 per month for 10 GB of data
- Vodafone Lite + package: $ 45 per month for 30 GB of data
- Super Vodafone package: $ 55 per month for 60 GB of data
- Vodafone Super + package: $ 65 per month for 100 GB of data
- Vodafone Ultra + package: $ 85 per month for unlimited data
The more expensive Vodafone plan actually offers unlimited data, which means you don’t have to worry about spending your monthly data allowance. When it comes to 5G, however, that’s as 5G as Vodafone gets.
Australian 5G broadband phone plans
Aussie Broadband is one of the first MVNOs to adopt 5G, using the Optus network, which it also uses for its 4G plans. While Aussie Broadband’s mobile operation is much smaller than the Big Three, you’ll still find four 5G phone plans available. Here’s how much you’ll spend on a 5G Aussie Broadband mobile plan:
- 20 GB Australian broadband plan: $ 45 per month for 20 GB of data
- 80 GB Australian broadband plan: $ 55 per month for 80 GB of data
- 200 GB Australian broadband plan: $ 65 per month for 200 GB of data
- 240 GB Australian broadband plan: $ 85 per month for 240 GB of data
Spintel 5G phone plans
Spintel is another MVNO who switched to 5G phone plans early on. Although this small provider only offers two 5G-compatible phone plans, it remains one of the only providers in the country to offer 5G mobile connectivity. Here are the schedules:
- Spintel 80 GB plan: $ 50 per month for 80 GB of data
- Spintel 200 Go plan: $ 65 per month for 200 GB of data
That’s about it for 5G phone plan providers in Australia. There aren’t many, which shows it’s still early days for 5G connectivity, but that will change. Watch this place.
All 5G compatible phones in Australia
Although 5G phone plans are not yet very advanced in Australia, 5G compatible smartphones are widely available. It’s easy to get a 5G phone plan in Australia now, and with the big names all committed to 5G handsets from now on (including Apple, Samsung, Google, and OPPO), we’ll likely only see a few more no. -5G phones before 5G replaced 4G.
If we listed all the 5G compatible smartphones in Australia, we would be here all day. For this reason, we have decided to compile all the reputable 5G phones, just to give you the assurance that your current phone or your next phone is 5G capable. Keep in mind that there are probably more 5G compatible phones out there than this list suggests.
The following phones are 5G compatible:
When shopping, be sure to keep an eye out for 5G connectivity. While there are many phones that are 5G compatible in Australia, safe is better than sorry, so just make sure.