Are you done with your cell phone? Here’s how you can get money for it

0

FILE- Used mobile phones for sale are seen inside a store on January 12, 2022. (Photo by Jakub Porzycki/NurPhoto via Getty Images)

As consumers we are always looking to improve our personal items and one of the shiny new toys that some of us covet is a new cell phone. While buying a new phone is easy, figuring out what to do with your old device can be tricky.

If you don’t want to bother with an extra cell phone, there are several options for getting money for it. Here are your options:

RELATED: Do you have old phones? Here’s how to reuse, recycle or sell them

Sell ​​your old cell phone

Most major cell phone companies offer trade-in programs that provide consumer credit toward the purchase of a new cell phone, including Samsung, Apple, AT&T, Sprint, Verizon, and T-Mobile.

Online sites like BuyBackWorld, Gazelle, Smartphone Recycling. and eBay give individuals who sell their cell phones a quote for the device. Once you’ve accepted the offer, the final step is to ship your gadgets to them with a prepaid shipping label.

BuyBackWorld will allow people to sell a new, used, cracked or broken phone. The company will give you a quote for your phone and either send you a free shipping kit or pack your cell phone with your own packing materials.

RELATED: Old tech: sell, give away or recycle?

Once BuyBackWorld receives your phone, the phone is inspected for any damage. If there is a disagreement on the price between the company and the seller, a revised price offer is provided, which you can accept or reject. If you agree with the offer, BuyBackWorld will send you a cash payment either by check or PayPal within 1-2 business days.

Sellers looking for another option to get rid of their phone can visit Gazelle. Their process for selling a phone is also straightforward. You can visit their website to see if they have the phone you are selling. Once you ship your device to Gazelle, they will inspect it and make you an offer for the phone. If you accept Gazelle’s offer for your house, they will pay you.

Smartphone Recycling will pay a seller up to $400 for their old cell phone. If the device is damaged or in good condition, Smartphone Recycling will buy it from you for between $50 and $300 depending on the model of the device. If you’re selling an “outdated” flip phone or smartphone, the company will pay between $0.10 and $2.00 for it. People who sell “cheap and discounted” cell phones can receive up to $20 for each device.

eBay has a different process which is slightly complicated. There’s a page on their site where you can enter information about the phone you’re selling, including model, color, and condition to get what the website calls a “trend price” of similar or recent phones. sold.

After providing a description of your phone, eBay will ask the seller to upload some photos of the device. Once you come up with a price, choose a shipping method for the phone. eBay uses a Fee Calculator to help the person figure out how much they can earn from selling their phone.

GameStop also accepts old cell phones for trade-in, offering either store credit or cash. Vendors can stop at any GameStop location and bring their device. The video game retailer accepts cellphones from various carriers, including Apple and Samsung.

Donate your old cell phone to charity

If you’d rather donate your old phone than sell it, there are charities that accept the devices. But these groups probably won’t physically give your old phones to people in need. Instead, they’ll often sell your phone to recyclers and keep the money.

A non-profit group called Cell Phones for Soldiers will take “lightly used” phones and sell them to a recycling company. He will then use the proceeds to buy international calling cards for soldiers so they can talk to loved ones back home.

The National Coalition Against Domestic Violence works in a similar fashion. About 60% of the phones it collects are refurbished and resold. The money is used to support the coalition. The remaining 40% of phones are recycled, according to the group’s website. It pays shipping costs if you send three or more phones. The group also accepts other electronic devices such as laptops, video game systems and digital cameras.

Recycle an old cell phone

Recycling your phone is another option instead of selling or giving away the device. Earth 911 has a recycling program for electronics that is simple with instructions on their website.

FOX 6 Milwaukee and FOX 10 Phoenix contributed to this story. This story was reported from Washington, DC

Share.

Comments are closed.